Power Up Your Meals
Powerful Pairings are unique combinations of wholesome foods that help make every bite count. Packed with nutrients, bursting with flavor and rich in texture, pulses, sorghum, bread and bread products come together to create a bountiful plate that makes the family meal as enjoyable as the company around the table.
Below please find various infographics you can use to educate about pulses, sorghum, bread and bread products, to promote Powerful Pairings and to encourage more family meals! #PowerfulPairings
Registered Dietitian Nutritionists across the country are talking about combining pulses, sorghum, bread products and animal proteins on the plate. These Powerful Pairings add taste, nutrition, and versatility to your diet and to enhance family meals. Check out what a few of them have to say!
- 2 cups pulse-based dip(s), such as hummus, lentil dip, and/or black bean dip (store-bought is fine)
- 2 cups flavored popped sorghum, such as rosemary-parmesan and spiced chili
- 6 ounces breads/crackers, such as sliced baguette, seeded flatbread crisps, and/or sorghum crackers
- 2½ ounces pulse-based crunchy snacks, such as black bean chips, roasted chickpeas, and/or crunchy broad beans
- 12 ounces cheese, such as thick-sliced cheddar, herbed goat cheese, cubed Manchego, and/or brie wedge
- 2½ cups veggies, such as cherry tomatoes, snap peas, carrots, yellow pepper strips, English cucumber slices, radishes, and/or marinated artichokes
- 1½ cups fruit, such as grapes, berries, mango or kiwi slices, figs, and/or olives
- 2/3 cup roasted, raw, or flavored nuts, such as almonds, pistachios, walnuts and/or pecans
- 3 ounces meats, such as sliced salami, prosciutto, or sweet soppressata (optional)
- 2 condiments of choice (4 ounces total), such as local jam, grainy mustard, and/or honey
Serving Size: varies
Cook Time: N/A
- Attractively arrange all ingredients on a large cutting board or platter, at least 12x20-inches. Serve at room temperature.
- For rosemary-parmesan popped sorghum: Toss 1 cup warm popped sorghum with 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary and, if desired, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest; add salt to taste.
- For spiced chili popped sorghum: Toss 1 cup warm popped sorghum with ¼ teaspoon each chili powder, sweet or smoked paprika, and finely ground black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder; add salt to taste.
- If using packaged pre-popped sorghum, warm it up in a dry saucepan over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes before adding seasoning. To make freshly popped sorghum, see recipe at sorghumcheckoff.com/recipes/ stovetop-popped-sorghum
Nutrition Information (12 servings)
Calories 320, Total Fat 17g, Saturated Fat 6g, Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 400mg, Carbohydrate 32g, Fiber 6g, Sugars 9g, Protein 15g, Calcium 160mg (15%), Iron 3mg (15%), Potassium 280mg (6%)
Nutrition Facts do not include optional ingredients; such as meats.
Created by Patricia Bannan, MS, RD for Powerful Pairings
Commodity Partnership Earns Top Industry Award Amidst Expansion
Washington, DC, January 26, 2022
For the second time in two years, Powerful Pairings, a unique collaboration of several commodity groups including the National Pork Board, USA Pulses (USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council, American Pulse Association) and the United Sorghum Checkoff Program earned one of the food industry’s most coveted awards as the partnership expands.
Powerful Pairings was awarded FMI Foundation’s distinguished 2021 Gold Plate Award in the Community Collaborators category. Since 2013, the Gold Plate Award has been recognizing programs created by suppliers, food retailers and community collaborators that encourage families to share more meals together at home.
Powerful Pairings promotes the pairing of various foods to bring taste, balance, and nutrition to family meals. Aimed at retailers, registered dietitian nutritionists and consumers, the campaign promotes ways to power up plates with delicious and nutritious family meals. The unique characteristics of each of the partners’ commodities are promoted, while showcasing the exponential impact of combining them as part of family meals. Free recipes and resources, including infographics, fact sheets and nutrition information, are available on the website.
The award bestowal coincides with the expansion of the Powerful Pairings coalition. In September 2021, the Grain Foods Foundation joined the partners in their quest to educate about how easy it is to create delicious meals that combine tastes and textures while bringing nutrition and versatility to the plate.
“As soon as we were introduced to Powerful Pairings, we knew this would be a wonderful opportunity to showcase grain foods as an essential part of delicious and nutritious family meals,” said Erin Ball, acting executive director for the Grain Foods Foundation. “There are so many wonderful grain foods from which to choose to bring nutrients and flavor to the plate which makes Powerful Pairings a perfect fit.”
The coalition will continue to promote the wonderful benefits of Powerful Pairings in 2022. Commodities interested in participating should contact at [email protected] for more information.
Commodity Group Partnerships to Promote Health Gain Traction and Industry Attention
Washington, DC, January 26, 2021
Celebrate the Family Meals Movement
The Family Meals Movement celebrates the importance of family meals all year long. Fortunately, pulses, sorghum, bread products are always in season, making it easy and convenient to make every bite count by bringing Powerful Pairings to the table throughout the year.
Increasing the frequency of eating family meals improves the family unit and bolsters individual health and wellness.,,,, Research also shows that people who frequently cook meals together at home eat healthier and consume fewer calories. New research shows that more than half of consumers say they plan to stay connected by continuing to plan meals together, cook together and enjoy family meals. The data shows that the increase in family meal consumption has persisted since the beginning of the pandemic with no signs of slowing down.
Click here to go to Supporting Research to go to Supporting Research to review the breadth of research affirming the powerful impact of family meals.
As stronger families build stronger communities, family meals are more important today than ever before. Click here to go to Toolkits for tools you can use to help spread the word.